Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Just beginning

I am so grateful to be sober today. Already, 7 months into sobriety I am doing things that were unthinkable when I was in the thick of my disease. For example, I was able to go to the grocery store after I dropped my son off at school. I could have never done that this time last year. I was actually excited going to the grocery store! They were baking bread in there and it smelled great! The produce looked so beautiful, the bus load of senior citizens did not frustrate me!

I found a new babysitter through a woman in the rooms. I just couldn't seem to find anyone reliable a year ago.

Now this is big, I make dinner before I pick my kids up from school and then go to get the babysitter, then I leave for school!!! Whoa, really I do. I didn't do much cooking when I came into the rooms because cooking dinner was a big trigger for me!

These are mundane things that people take for granted, yet I was not capable of consistently coordinating these things this time last year. In fact, I had to drop my class last year. I stayed home and drank every night instead.

And now I have a fellowship, sober friends, conscious contact with my Higher Power, love, hope and this is only the beginning.

2 comments:

Shadow said...

someone left a comment on my blog ages ago that said: going shopping, mowing the lawn and keeping a job all sound so mundane... unless you are an alcoholic. only be learning to conquer (and enjoy) the simple tasks, the life sustaining tasks, can we learn to excel at other things in life.

that meant so much to me, i stuck it inside my ciggy box to remind myself. and i think that's what you are say here in your post?!?!?!

Kathrin Ivanovic said...

It is interesting that you mention the grocery store. I went for the first time in a long time last night. Someone from the meeting went with me. We had barely said more than hello and bye to each other before then. It wasnt as traumatic as I thought it would be. I didnt know what to buy, but I got a few healthy items and made myself a nice grilled chicken salad last night. I have leftovers with me today...leftovers!!!

WOW

Have a great day!