Saturday, May 12, 2007

Holding Hands

Almost ten years ago, I held my mother's hand as she softly took her last breath. Two years later, I held my father's hand as he faded from consciousness until the doctors made me leave while they unsuccessfully tried to resuscitate him. The following day, my mom's father, my granpop died. Six months later, my brother's brother-in-law died at age 47 of brain cancer.

I was really, really pissed off at God for a while. I couldn't understand why lovely, kind, vibrant people had to be eaten alive by cancer while some dangerous criminal somewhere got to live. Even now, I can hardly bare to think of my brothers' agonized faces as we went through all those losses together.

I still don't understand why all that happens. But I'm not mad at God anymore. I think one of the reasons it took me so long to get to AA is because I just couldn't see how an HP would take care of me, when that HP took so much from me.

Today I found out a mom in my neighborhood is visiting her father in hospice care. He may live about six more weeks. Another family that we're friends with was just told that their mother's stomach cancer is no longer treatable. My "sober sister's" mother's cancer has continued to progress, she is in excruciating pain and will be spending Mother's Day in the hospital. Another sober sister's Uncle died when we were all at a meeting together this Tuesday night. A woman from this morning's meeting is in the hospital and is not expected to make it.

I am grateful that I am sober today so that I can share my experience, strength and hope of terminal illness, loss, grief with some of these people. Maybe that is why I had some of the experiences I've had, to be there for someone and hold their hand. Maybe my HP waited until I was sober to put all these people I can help in my path.

7 comments:

missmg said...

It's so great to see you passing on your experience, strength and hope where it is needed. Your a gem.

Recovery Road London said...

A touching post. Thank you.

My mum died when she was 66 after a long illness. It's been nearly six years and I still miss her.

Have a great day.

lushgurl said...

Hey Clarity, yes losing a loved one is always tough, sober or not. I do think you have been chosen to share with us though, and I am very grateful for that today!
Love ya!

dAAve said...

My sponsor told me that I exhibited the height of arrogance when I got pissed off at God (HP) for taking a loved one. Would I prefer that it be someone else -- maybe someone I don't know? That way, it could affect another family and not me.
He told me to remember that eveything happens for a reason and I am not allowed to question why my HP allows the things he/she/it allows.

Anonymous said...

And what E, S, and H you have to share after going through so much! I believe that is exactly why I experience things -- so that I am able to help someone else along their path when the time is right.
Wonderful work.
Peace,
Scout

Meg Moran said...

That must have been terribly painful time for you. It is a part of who you are today, more loving, more compassionate, more sensitive...it takes great suffering to open our hearts sometimes. Kahil Gibran said "If you would indeed behold the spirit of death, open your heart wide unto the body of life." It seems that is what you are doing now.

A friend of Bill W. said...

we have very similar lives my friend... my Mum passed 10 yrs ago May 15th.

The gift was her suffering ended and I was holding her hand tightly as I slept next to her.

Funny, at the time I didn't realize what a gift that truly was.

Hugs to you~
Shuggr