Saturday, June 23, 2007

I love reading the Big Book with someone who knows it well, like my great-grand sponsor. We only got to pg. 64 of Ch5 this morning, but these are some of the lines I underlined today and they have reverberated with me all day:

Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path.

Without help it is too much for us. But there is One who has all power-That One is God. May you find Him now.

Above everything, we alcoholics must be rid of this selfishness. We must, or it kills us! God makes that possible.

Big Book, Ch.5, How it Works

I'm sober and I'm so grateful

4 comments:

Shadow said...

yes, it does get too much if we try to do it on our own.....

p.s. glad you and hubby are getting along again!

Mary Christine said...

That book just comes alive when we read it with others. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Recovery Road London said...

"Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path."

Saved my life, that sentence. It was being read out as I crawled in to my first meeting, five days after my last drink.

Anonymous said...

Meg once said that she finds that there is prayer every time that book is opened -- or something along those lines -- and I so, so agree.
Reading it with others is so spiritual for me. Hard to put into words.
Peace,
Scout