Friday, June 8, 2007

Soft Steel

I went on a job interview once. The interviewer said I was "soft steel". Very sweet and soft on the outside and very strong on the inside. I thought he was a presumptuous jerk. But anyway, I use his term to describe my sponsor.

She is younger than me. She is very sweet and cuddily. She likes to hug and hold hands, blow kisses, call me sweetie, tell me that she loves me. Sometimes I think I need someone more forceful and stronger. But when I start talking crazy, she gets really steely!

I casually mention to her that I'm going to a cocktail party tonight and that it's not a big deal and she practically reaches through the phone and bitch slaps me! She always tells me, "You're an alcoholic!" and "This might be a good time to write down your 10 worst drinking experiences!!!!".

Tomorrow night I'm going out to dinner with my friends. My friend asked "What does your sponsor say about you going to dinner with us?" I said, "I'm not even going to tell her, because she gets so worried about it. But this is what she would say, 'You're an alcoholic and you might feel okay about your friends drinking at dinner now, but tomorrow a switch could click in your head and you may not be okay anymore. I suggest you bookend your dinner with calls to me and know that you can walk out of there at anytime'".

After I said this to my friend, I realized that my sponsor would be so right. I need to be straight with her and follow her suggestions or why bother having a sponsor at all? Why not just abstain from drinking on my own, because that always worked out so well in the past....HA!

3 comments:

lushgurl said...

OMG...that is too funny- the reaching through the phone to bitch slap you!!! And even funnier? The fact that your sponsor is so in your head that you know exactly what she would say in a situation!!
I love your sponsor, and I love you too!

missmg said...

Clarity you are getting clearer with every post. Love reading your revelations. In drinking situations, I now dont battle with temptation but I notice that I am uncomfortable and come away irritable for a few hours. I have to be honest not only with my sponsor about my motives and actions, but ultimately with myself.

Mary Christine said...

I love the way we have our own answers.