Monday, June 18, 2007

Shit Island

Ran around all day Friday doing stuff that depletes me. Like grocery shopping. With my 3 1/2 year old. The last thing I had to do that day was go to a barbeque.

I rushed into it, I was tired, I was hungry, I was angry (at my husband). Everyone seemed to be having such a good time, and they were all slightly buzzed. I didn't really know the people there that well and that threw me for a loop. The host's mom was there, she's terminally ill with cancer. I helped my mom fight to live while she was dying. If your loved one is dying, I can help you, because I know how you're feeling. But I just didn't feel comfortable talking to this woman, I just didn't know where she was emotionally in the dying process. I didn't drink there, I didn't really think about it too much.

However, I got home and I was truly spent, emotionally, physically, spiritually.
I thought maybe I would take a vacation from AA and sobriety for the summer. And that thought did not make warning sirens go off in my head. I called my sponsor, I prayed, and then I fell asleep reading the Big Book.

I got up at the crack the next morning and went to an AA meeting. I was telling my friends at breakfast afterwards that I had thought of taking a break for the summer. My friend said, "Oh a break, that sounds fun! Where are you thinking of going?" I said, "I was thinking of taking a break from AA for the summer". My sponsor chimed in, "She wants to go to Shit Island." LOL

I realize that I forgot I'm an alcoholic and I can't spend a day doing things that deplete me. I can't go unarmed into social alcohol fueled situations. I was unsettled, not serene and that bothered me, dammit!! Why was I thinking it had to be all or nothing? Things don't either have to be really great or really shitty in sobriety. Sometimes they just are. I decided to rip up my one-way, non-stop ticket to Shit Island and stick around.

3 comments:

Shadow said...

hey! you've made a good decision. hang in there. but i also wish sometimes i could take a break from this alcoholism thing...

Recovery Road London said...

Lol.

Shit Island is easy to find, harder to escape from.

You're busy, busy, busy. How about some of that time for you?

Anyway. What do I know.

Enjoyed your post - good n honest.

Thnaks for helping em stay sober for another day.

Kenny

Mary Christine said...

I love your sponsor. Shit Island. I am going to remember that.

Please stay away from it, OK?