Monday, April 16, 2007

MRI

I had to go for a breast MRI today. I have a very strong family history of breast cancer, my mom was around my age when she was first diagnosed. It's just to see if they can find any cancer really, really early. I'm not worried, I don't worry about these tests until I hear there's something to worry about.

It's not the most pleasant of tests. First they start an IV, which they had a v. hard time doing. Really hard. I almost passed out from that. Everything was going black and the woman was saying something about alcohol. She freaked me out, I didn't know if she was offering me a drink, or she was saying they were having a hard time with the IV because I drank too much alcohol. Turns out she was asking me if I wanted to sniff some alcohol to not faint!! LMAO.

Then you have to lay on your stomach, with your arms over your head, with IV in one arm and your other hand holding the panic button. Your breasts hang out through the bottom of the table and there's a head rest to rest your face on. Nice image, huh?

Then they slide you in a tunnel like thing for 40 freakin' minutes and it makes all sorts of terrible crazy noises. The point is, I almost freaked out, when they slid me in there, seriously, I was still fuzzy from the IV debacle and I'm terribly claustrophic. I was about to push the panic button, but I started saying the serenity prayer, and praying and talking myself off the ledge.

Seriously, I don't think I could have gone through with it if I was still getting drunk every night, hungover everyday. But I started to feel a sense of calm, like I wasn't trapped in there all alone, that I had someone watching over me. Shit, if I can resist a drink, I can lay in a noisy tunnel, in some crazy awkward position, right?

And it's a good thing I told them to put my Massive Attack CD on instead of the soundtrack to Brokeback Mountain, because it was loud in there, I would have never been able to hear Brokeback Mountain.

Still sober and it's 44 days baby!

3 comments:

Recovery Road London said...

Hey claritycase-girl

How's New Jersey today?

44 days rocks. Very well done.

I hope you're well today.

best wishes

Kenny
London

Anonymous said...

And today makes 45 cause now it's Tuesday.
I love Massive Attack, girl! Good choice for an MRI.
Hope all is well. Nice visuals ;-)
Peace,
Scout

lushgurl said...

Yeah- you go gurl- I am so proud of you for facing what (to me) would have been terrifying beyond belief. But like you said if you can rsist a drink...
It's so wonderful that today you are able to take such good care of you, and know that you can DO ANYTHING!
love and HUGS